Over the past few months I’ve slowly transitioned to using more pure and natural beauty cosmetic as alternatives to mass-produced creams filled with chemicals and preservatives, and my body couldn’t be happier! Below, I’ll share some of my favorite DIY beauty tricks that are both good for your skin and good for your wallet.
For the below anti-corporate products, make sure you buy products that do not have any additives or additional chemicals, and buy from local and small producers! Your community health food store or direct from a producer online (as opposed to Amazon) is a good place to start.
- Vitamin E Oil: this amazing multi-purpose oil can be used:
- To heal scars anywhere on your body
- As a moisturizer on your face (it absorbs remarkably fast and is incredibly nourishing; I use it just about every day)
- As body lotion
- As a personal lubricant
- Marula Oil: this oil can be used:
- In your hair to make it stronger and shiny (similar to Argan oil)
- On your face as a moisturizer and body
- To clear up psoriasis (my sister swears by it
- Honey (buy raw and local): can be used:
- As a face mask– cover face in a layer and leave on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing. Will leave face feeling luxurious and glowing. Can be repeated daily or minimum once a week.
- As a face wash: mix equal parts honey, Bragg’s apple cider vinegar and olive oil in a bottle (I re-used the one from my old face wash); shake before use, and apply to damp/wet face. Close those eyes, as the vinegar can sting.
- As an antiseptic on cuts and burns
- As a sleep-aid
- For weight management
- For sore throats and coughs
Have you used any of these products? What are your favorite brands?